If you have been playing poker with any seriousness, you have heard players try to inject their favorite poker quotes or poker saying during the game. While some quotes are cute and entertaining, some have deeper meaning that can teach each of us a lesson about the game. Below are our ten picks for the best poker quotes in history.
10. “Poker, Poker, it’s all skill. Start with the worst hand and go uphill! – Mike Matusow”
This is part poker quote and party playful ditty that Matusow has been known to sing from time to time at the World Series of Poker. His quote does point out that poker is seldom about good card but rather how you play them.
“Show me a good loser, and I’ll show you a loser. – Stu Ungar
Blunt and to the point, poker immortal Stu Ungar points out that no matter how great you play or how solid your decisions are, a loser is still a loser at the poker tables.
8. “The only bad luck for a good gambler is bad health. Any other setbacks are temporary aggravation – Benny Binion”
Binions Horseshoe founder Benny Binion points out the ultimate truth for most professional gamblers, poker or otherwise. As long as you have your health, you can come back from a bad run at the tables.
7. “The object of poker is to keep your money away from Phil Ivey for as long as possible – Gus Hansen”
This quote by the Great Dane emphasizes just how great Phil Ivey has been in poker. Even when he is running badly, he can still be the most feared player at the table. Ivey is one of the greatest players in history and is a first-ballot Hall of Famer.
6. “Trust everyone, but always cut the cards. – Benny Binion”
Poker is an honorable game, but some of its players, not so much. Always protect yourself in the game is the point here.
5. “Nobody is always a winner, and anybody who says he is, is either a liar or doesn’t play poker. -Amarillo Slim Preston”
Amarillo Slim points out a great truth about the game. We all will lose at some point in poker. Whether it is by running into a better player or just running bad, we will land on the loser’s side of the game.
4. “If there weren’t luck involved, I would win every time. — Phil Hellmuth”
Even Phil Hellmuth can lose at the table. This quote, and others, helped to cement Hellmuth’s reputation as the “poker brat” but also points out that no matter how much we hype poker as a “game of skill,” sometimes luck wins out.
3. “Luck favors the backbone, not the wishbone. – Doyle Brunson”
Texas Dolly points out here that you have to take chances in order to be a winner in poker. You can’t fold your way to a title.
2. “In order to live, you must be willing to die. – Amir Vahedi on poker tournament strategy”
The late Amir Vahedi was a fearless player at the poker table, capable of winning a poker title one day and busting out in the first hand the next. When asked about playing tournaments, he said the above to remind us that we have to risk it all sometimes in order to win it all.
1. “If you can’t spot the sucker in the first hour at the table, then you are the sucker. – Matt Damon in Rounders”
One of the most recognized quotes in the history of the game comes from Matt Damon’s performance in the cult classic Rounders. As poker players, we are always concerned about finding “the sucker” or the fish in the game. This quote reminds us that sometimes, we are the worst player in a game and we have to accept this fact from time to time.